Saturday, January 8, 2011

Friendship

St Gregory of Nyssa said that there was nothing greater than being friends with God. The Episcopal Church  in San Francisco dedicated to Gregory uses that as its motto.

I just returned from a week's vacation visiting family members in the Mid-South, and I also took time to renew a friendship with a clergy colleague. It was a wonderful time of catching up on too many years gone by. Over a good meal and several glasses of wine I was struck by how I am so blessed by people who have come into my life over the years.

It seems to me that if being friends with God is to be so highly prized and we are people of Incarnation, it would follow that our friendships, at their closest level, can reveal the face of God to us.

Nurture your friendships for at their best we are touched by God through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment